Tuesday 29 May 2018

Up on the roof, again...

Last year sometime I advised you, dear reader, to hotfoot it to one of London's hidden gems high above the hurly-burly of Edgware Road and environs, the fabulous Rooftop Kitchen at Alfie's Antiques Market, London W2. Perhaps you've already been there and enjoyed it at least as much as I do, but, for the odd one who hasn't, this is a reminder.

The Rooftop Kitchen is a London oddity, eccentric, simple and very, very good. Not a place for flash Harry and his Henrietta, not the place to people-watch the moneyed elite, not a place to show off your  new Gucci (or whatever...) ensemble; there are lots of other places in London for that sort of nonsense. With a simple menu, a tiny but decent selection of wines and an excellent ice-cold beer on tap this is THE place to go on a warm spring or summer day for lunch, or coffee and cake, and to escape city life, noise and pressure, however briefly.

Alfie's is worth the visit for the Rooftop Kitchen alone, but don't underestimate the various little antiques businesses there. Despite being without a permanent home and broke I see lots of interesting things there, though my untrained eye cannot vouch for these in the same way as for wine and food; I defy anyone, though, to walk around and be entirely disinterested...

So you can understand why when my friend Richard suggested we meet at Alfie's for a catch-up and light lunch I didn't exactly hesitate - a feast for the eyes, decent grub and drink for my stomach, how could a boy say no, at least this one?! So on a bright, busy day last week we met 'up on the roof' at the Rooftop Kitchen. As I was slightly early and he slightly late, I was able to put away a lovely cold pint of Italian plasma (beer, lager actually) before we even ordered our food, with a second one all but inevitable. They do a lovely juicy burger here, tasty and properly cooked, with the added benefit of a reasonable price, so we both went for that and enjoyed it greatly, together with our beer and the amazing luxury of peace and quiet above London's noisy streets. We had an extensive catch-up, relaxed and were even able to make plans for future fixture, possibly elsewhere, for which you may be informed - assuming, that is, that you are suitably well-behaved in the meantime.

For the non-designer non-corporate eccentricity of the surroundings alone the Rooftop Kitchen is worth a visit, throw in the food and drink and you have a rare London spot, a privilege. I wish I could go there regularly, every week even, and eat, drink and relax in the sun. Perhaps you, dear reader, will invite me sometime soon? OK, forget me, get some company and go to Alfie's Rooftop Kitchen to enjoy a real one-off; you'll thank me!

And no, since you asked, I am not rewarded in any way for anything I write, so I can say what I like when I feel like it; I don't have to be nice to anyone, nor praise anyone or anything if I do not believe in their merit.


No comments:

Post a Comment