Thursday 26 September 2019

Two in a row

It is highly unusual, not only for me but for most of us, to have splendid wine on two consecutive evenings. Our bodies - especially ageing ones like mine - demand a break, fine wine is not easily available and the whole shebang can be costly if it is pursued at a commercial establishment, such as a restaurant or wine bar. As with everything in life, though, luck plays a part and, after the splendid dinner on Tuesday night recounted in my previous post, I had a phone call from my good friend AM inviting me for a bite to eat on Wednesday evening, an opportunity for a catch-up chat, lubricated by a bottle of something or other... Music to my ears!

At his place the simple food is always prepared well and there are, almost always, nice fried potatoes, against which resistance on my part is futile. My friend is far more restrained and always has been, so he doesn't touch the fries, but for me the pleasure is just too much, weak little man that I am. He also likes to share one or two of his good bottles - most people cannot truly appreciate grand wines other than on a label basis - and he finds in me, his erstwhile supplier and always available advisor, a good companion in enjoyment.

So we started our evening with a delightfully light Riesling from the Pfalz area of Germany (Reichsrat von Buhl Reiterpfad Hofstuck Riesling 2015), with its balance of freshness and hints of richness, a wine of sweet but not cloying temperament in the background full of white peaches and lychees, without any hint of the taut minerality and rich petrol hues found in its Alsace cousins. This is an excellent aperitif wine, light and playful, which could also accompany dishes with a lighter taste, as rich food would all but eclipse its delicate body.

Our food was varied and tasty, aside from the aforementioned fries I had some salad, zucchini pie and a touch of roast chicken, all delightful; I was sorry not to have a stomach twice the size! To accompany this simple fare my host opened a bottle of 1997 Pichon Baron which did not disappoint us in any way. 1997 was a tricky year in Bordeaux, with lots of disappointing bottles but, as per usual, the Pichon Baron does well in difficult conditions - this was most evident 22 years later! This was a rich mouthful, with lots of oak on the nose and palate balanced by rich red fruit and chocolate, no signs of fading but perhaps at its best now. A very good wine from a vintage of varied quality, it made the evening extremely pleasurable. Furthermore, I was successful in decanting it perfectly, so we avoided any sediment without wasting much wine...

Added to all the above the warm friendship and interesting conversations we always share, this was a lovely evening. Any candidates for making it three in a row?




No comments:

Post a Comment